December 11, 2014

Playlist 2014 : My Favorites of the Year #TGIF

     Since I'm just one of those people who cannot live without music and is a slightly obsessive audiophile I just decided to do a list of my top 10 picks of 2014. Desi list to follow soon. Check these tracks out if you haven't already. 

#10 Shake it off - Taylor Swift


"But I keep cruising,
Can't stop, won't stop moving
It's like I got this music
In my mind
Saying, It's gonna be alright."

      Alright! #10 was a tough call between 'Let it Go' by Idina Menzel and Swift's single from her latest album '1989'. Nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance, Record of the Year and Song of the year at the 2015 Grammy Awards, 'Shake It Off' topped Billboard charts for weeks soon after it's release. This song, in my opinion, is a shift from Swift's usual country pop style and really manages to get anyone nodding along to its beat where ever it's playing. The song brings out so much positive energy and can lift your spirit if you're feeling a little blue.     




#9 Rather Be - Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne


"When I'm with you, there's no place I'd rather be."

   This song is from Clean Bandit's first album titled 'New Eyes' which released early this year, in January. I'm not really sure what the song is really about. The lyrics seem like your run-of-the-mill love song but the video portrays a crazy fan who hallucinates Clean Bandit members following her everywhere all through her day. Well, this is just one of those songs that you listen to while you're grocery shopping. 

   

#8 Waves - Robin Schulz Remix


"I wish I could make it easy,
Easy to love me, love me,
But still I reach, to find a way,
I'm stuck here in between
I'm looking for the right words to say."

        Waves, the remix, was the song I listened to on loop every evening when I sat out in the verandah and contemplated where I was going with my life, the things I needed to do, the things I'd done. It has a sort of mellow pace which just instantly helped me relax. I could say this about a lot of other songs but hey! its my playlist of 2014. 



#7 Maps - Maroon 5


"I wonder where were you, when I was at my worst
Down on my knees, and you said you had my back
So I wonder where were you?
When all the roads you took came back to me
So I'm following the map that leads to you."

        Honestly, I just look for the map to get me to where I needed to be in the morning every day. Maps, written by Adam Levine, (my pick for man-crush-Monday every other week) for their album 'V' which released mid June this year, is the song that would play at full volume as I went about my morning routine. I would try very hard to sing at the top of my voice, in tune, to Adam's falsetto much to my mother's disapproval. She keeps saying that the cuckoos would drop dead from the trees if I kept at this every morning. Not that I can't sing. *hmf*  


#6 What are you waiting for? - Nickelback


"Don't you want to spread you wings and fly?
Don't you wanna really live your life?
Don't you wanna love before you die?
What are you waiting for now?"

     If Chad Kroeger tells me to go do what I've been putting off for various reasons I'm just going to get our there and DO it. Chad *drools*. Okay back to the music. 'What Are You Waiting For' is a lot like 'If Everyone Cared' or 'Perfect' by P!nk that just inspires you to do what you want and Be who you are no matter what other people think. Although I don't particularly fancy most of "No Fixed Address", their eighth studio album, 'What are you waiting for?' is that signature Nickelback number which just takes you back to songs like 'Photograph' and 'Into the Night'. 



#5 Magic - Coldplay


"And if you were to ask me
After all that we've been through,
"Still believe in magic?"
Well, yes I do."

     After 'Paradise', 'Magic' is one of those simply adorable songs recorded by Coldplay. The lyrics are quite simple compared to their usual deep abstract verses. The quirky video inspired from black and white silent movies just gives the song a story to relate to. Chris Martin makes a pretty neat antagonist too!    

#4 Love Never Felt so Good - Michael Jackson feat. Justin Timberlake


  "And the night through think and thin,
Gotta fly, gotta see, can't believe 
I can't take it..."

      I remember buying the single off iTunes the day it released in May this year. Michael Jackson's posthumously released album Xscape was one that I waited for with so much expectation. Love never felt so good had Michael's signature pop style and Justin did the song justice in my opinion. Who does't love a little MJ?  
  


#3 Happy - Pharrell Williams


"Because I'm happy,
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof,
Because I'm happy,
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth..."

       Yes I clapped along for months on end to Happy and like a lot of people I was very heartbroken when Happy lost out on the Oscar to Let it Go. How can you not give Pharrell an Oscar when practically the whole wide world was singing his song and making videos, even at Palestine? I've probably rewound to Gru's 'Happy' moment in Despicable Me 2 a million times. 


#2 Jealous Gods - Poets of the Fall


"So I'll build a bridge between us,
Arcs of soaring rainbows,
Strength of Mother Earth,
For a brand new start." 

         I have to hand it to Poets Of The Fall for a song that absolutely BLEW my mind. From the lyrics, to the arrangement, to the very theme of the song Jealous Gods owns their listener right from the moment they press 'play'. Jealous Gods, in my opinion, is one of their best songs since 'Carnival of Rust' and 'Lift'. If Floyd hadn't released 'The Endless River'. 'Jealous Gods' would have been my #1.  



#1 Louder than words - Pink Floyd 


"Louder than words,
This thing they called soul
Is there with a pulse
Louder than words.."

        Pink Floyd does not fail to amaze me every single time. The Endless River might not be an Epic album like "A Momentary Lapse of Reason' or 'The Wall' or 'The Dark Side of The Moon' but it proves that even in the 21st century, Pink Floyd still produces music that is a class apart. 'Louder Than Words' penned by David Gilmour's wife, is a tribute to late Floyd keyboardist Richard Wright. The guitar solo gives me goosebumps every single time and it was an exhilarating feeling looking out of an aircraft window while listening to it. I sort of felt like the man in the boat rowing through 'the endless river' of clouds.    


Comment below and tell me your favorite songs of 2014 or your thoughts on the songs mentioned above and don't forget to +1.  For more posts subscribe to Van der Wrote by clicking on the links in the side bar. 

Desi list coming soon! 

Happy Holidays folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment